Friday, August 19, 2011

YoYo Doctoring...

Ok, serious parental decision here. 2 years ago we switched our insurance coverage from my employers to my husbands insurance through the hospital system he works for because it is FAB-u-lous coverage at 1/3 the price. BUT, and big but here, we all had to switch dr's because you have to see a Dr. associated with the hospital system. The hospital is self-insured, part of the reason the costs are so low, but it means you have to only use their dr's, their labs, their hospitals etc. It was worth it, but it meant a new pediatrician for Little One, we'll call him Dr. Newbie. While I like Dr. Newbie, I don't necessarily like him MORE than her old ped, let's call him Dr. Smith. And Dr. Newbie's office is a 1/2 hr drive from our home. Dr. Smith's office was in the same town we live in, really convenient when Emily was sick.

Long story short, I just found out that Dr. Smith's practice is now listed as a provider under our insurance. Do I switch her back to Dr. Smith? I want to for the convenience factor of being so close to home, and I really did like the doctor's there. But I feel like that's YoYo doctoring. If I do switch her this will be the 4th Ped she will have had since she was born... and she's only 7! There's just not much consistency in her care. But she really liked Dr. Smith and when we drive by his office she still comments that she wishes she could go to Dr. Smith.

To switch or not to switch. What if I switch and then in a year Dr. Smith is taken off of the list of providers and I have to switch her get AGAIN. I'd really like to stick with a dr. for a while so they would get to know her and have some history, which I feel like will translate into better care.

Sheesh... the things you have to worry about as a parent are just never ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment