Wednesday, April 18, 2012

TOO MUCH PAPERWORK

To all parents of grade school kids, are you with me on the fact that there is just TOO MUCH paper coming home from school with your child?  It's not just worksheets and drawings, it's permission slips, and reading logs, progress reports, report cards, Scholastic Book Club flyers, a weekly newsletter to parents, updates from the principal, info from the after-school program, the after school program reading log... 'TIS CRAZINESS I say. 

Some days I can barely get the kitchen table cleaned off so the 3 of us have room to eat.

I suppose it doesn't help that I'm also trying to get Emily signed up for activities over the summer so there are forms for those, plus medical release forms, and your 3 contacts in case of an emergency, oh yes, and then there are the forms for religious education classes next year, and a sign-up form for a group activity at church school next Sunday.... It is making me crazy.  Oh wait, then there's the sign-up forms for the next session of swim lessons at the YMCA. And next year's Food Action Plan from the school for her tree nut allergy and after school program to be filled out in triplicate.

I have this genius idea that if I had more time I would spearhead, I think that there should be an on-line database for the medical forms and emergency contact info on-line for each community.  A parent fills this out ONCE and then the school, after-school programs, YMCA, daycamps, summer camps and churches can all access the forms for the child in a centralized place when you give them a secure password.  Then if you change your child's pediatrician you only have to change the on-line form and all the places that utilize that form are instantly updated.  It's genius right?! Google Docs would be great for this. Someday I'll get on that. But for now I've got to get back to filling out permission slips.

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment